•  Contact us: (819) 986-7470
1er juin prochaine cueillette des encombrants, incluant le métal (sauf réfrigérateur). Aucun matériau de construction ne sera ramassé. Passez à la Municipalité afin d'acheter votre macaron. 1 encombrant=1 macaron 5$ . 819-986-7470 poste 221
Territoire bien protégé - Service de protection contre l’incendie et premiers répondants. Contactez le 911 pour une urgence Mairie sise - Services d’administration et d’urbanisme - Salle communautaire Parc d'amusement - 5 parcs répartis sur le territoire Activité culturelle « Traces » sur le site Champboisé





L’Ange-Gardien: A municipality in touch with its citizens, that protects its natural rural qualities and the quality of life that its population currently enjoys. Our municipality encourages development mainly in the residential and tourist sectors, while allowing opportunities for industrial and commercial activities. This development shall respect the environment and not harm traditional agricultural activities. Tourist activities being favoured are those related to farm tourism or focusing on the enhancement of the Lièvre River.

It is advisable to check certain elements with the Municipality before undertaking the necessary steps for the purchase of a lot.

  • Is the lot of sufficient size to conform to the minimum standards required for your construction?
  • Is it possible to have a septic installation that conforms to legislation?
  • Are there physical constraints (e.g. rock, swamp, and mountain) that could adversely affect or prevent the construction of a residence?
  • Has the lot been surveyed and registered? Could it be?
  • Does the zoning allow your intended use of the lot (residential, commercial, industrial)?
  • Which public services does the Municipality provide at the perimeter of the lot?



Surveyed Lot: Lot surveyed by a surveyor and visually identified on the site, with or without markers.

Registered Lot: Surveyed lot that has been approved by the Municipality and for which a plan has been filed with the Service du cadastre (Cadaster Service) of the Ministère des Ressources naturelles du Québec (Québec Department of Natural Resources).

Subdivision: Cadastral operations of division, subdivision, redivision, replacement of a lot by building plots lots, addition of original lots to a lot, or annulment or change to a reference book.

Subdivision Permit: Authorization to submit plans and reference books to the Ministère des Ressources naturelles for registration, in accordance with the provisions of section 3029 of the Civil Code of Quebec.


Shoreline Protection

All structures and works that are likely to destroy or change the plant cover, bare the soil or affect the stability of shorelines, or that encroach on shorelines, except structures and works related to forest management activities conducted under the Forest Act and its regulations, are subject to the prior granting of a certificate of authorization.

The works and structures on shorelines are to be planned and implemented so as to respect or restore the natural state and aspect of the site and without hampering natural runoff or creating erosion.

These works and structures have to be implemented without excavation, dredging, levelling, filling or other similar works.

Obtaining the certificate of authorization does not release its holder from his or her obligation to obtain any other permit that may be required under any other Quebec legislation or regulation, such as the Watercourses Act (R.S.Q. C.-R-13).

All structures and works are prohibited on shorelines, except the following structures and works, for which a permit or certificate may be granted:

  • Wharves, shelters or landings on piers, piles or crib works or made of floating platforms.
  • Development of water crossings by means of fording, culverts and bridges.
  • Aquaculture equipments.

Water takeouts necessary to perform approved works on shorelines.


Forest Management Plan

For any wood harvesting, a Forest Management Plan prepared and signed by a forest engineer or technician has to be filed with the Municipality prior to the issuance of a Wood Harvesting Certificate, subject to the standards prescribed in the regulation.

The preparation of a Forest Management Plan is not mandatory for sanitation cutting or tree throwing necessary for the construction of a road, of a main building or of a secondary building. Tree cutting for fuelwood is also released from the requirement to prepare a Forest Management Plan, if it is undertaken by an individual for his or her own ends and does not exceed 100 mannualy, or approximately 100 cords (a cord of wood corresponds to a woodpile 1.22 m high, 0.40 m deep and 2.43 m wide). In this case, no commercial activity should result from the operation.

The submission of a Forest Management Plan does not apply to public lands.


Please contact the Planning Department before undertaking a construction project.

The Municipality recently adopted a new by-law on Site Planning and Architectural Integration Programs. The purpose of this by-law is to improve the architectural quality of new homes in specific areas of the Municipality. Find out whether your property is subject to this by-law.


All new buildings must comply with minimum footprint requirements. Please refer to the Building Standards in the file pocket at the back of this document for dimensions to be respected.


General Information

The property owner or his or her authorized agent must submit the following information along with the Building Permit Application:

  • The Building Permit Application must be made in writing on the Municipality's official forms. The application must be duly dated and signed, and must include the surname, first name, telephone number and home address of the property owner or his or her authorized agent and the name of the general contractor, if applicable;
  • The legal survey description and dimensions of the lot, as well as details of the proposed structures;
  • The proposed use of the project or structure; and
  • The probable duration of the works and the estimated construction cost.

If the project involves the construction of a new single family dwelling, the applicant must specify whether the dwelling is intended for his or her personal use or for use by his or her family (Régie du bâtiment du Québec's form may be obtained from the Municipality).

The application must include the following documents, which must be prepared according to good practice and in conformity with the Municipality’s planning and other applicable by-laws:

  • A layout plan, drawn at minimum scale 1:500 or any other scale deemed appropriate by the Designated Officer, of the building(s) on the lot(s) upon which construction is proposed, indicating the shape and area of the lot(s), legal description, roadways and setbacks. If there are already buildings on the lot(s), their exact location must be stated. The plan must be dated and signed by the applicant;
  • The plans, elevations, sections, sketches and specifications for the construction project and its use. These drawings must be drawn to scale and conform to the latest edition of the National Building Code of Canada and its amendments);
  • Three (3) copies of the plan for the septic installation prepared by an engineer who is a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs or by an engineering technologist who is a member of the Corporation professionnelle des technologues en sciences appliquées;
  • A copy of the notarised contract of purchase of the property;
  • Any other document deemed necessary by the Designated Officer.

Validity of Permit

A permit becomes invalid:

  • If the works for which the permit was issued have not started within 12 months from the date it has been issued;
  • If the permit is transferred to another person without the written consent of the Designated Officer.

Renewal of Permit

If the permit becomes invalid, the original applicant must obtain a new construction permit, which will be issued in accordance with the by-law in effect at the time of this new application.

Prohibited Exterior Cladding Materials

  • Tar paper, mineral paper or all other similar paper products;
  • Asphalt shingles used as a cladding material;
  • Any paper product imitating stone, brick or other natural materials, available in bundles, rolls, tiles or any other format;
  • Rigid insulation, thermal or other;
  • Plywood or wafer board;
  • Low-end (non-architectural) metal panel; and
  • Low-end (non-architectural) concrete block.


Issuance of Permit

The Designated Officer has 60 days to issue a Subdivision Permit from receiving of an application that conforms to the by-law, that is, which includes all the required information.

When the subdivision is part of a preliminary plan, the Designated Officer can only process the Subdivision Permit Application once the preliminary plan has obtained all necessary approvals from the Municipal Council.

Required Documents

The Subdivision Permit Application must be made in writing on the Municipality's official forms and must include the following documents:

  • Five (5) copies of the plan prepared by a land surveyor;
  • In the case of subdivision located in a mass wasting area, an engineer's certificate stating that the site can accommodate the proposed development, taking into consideration its soil, hydrological and geological characteristics.
  • A certificate stating that the septic installations conform to the provisions of the Loi sur la qualité de l’environnement (Environmental Quality Act) and its regulations or to those of the Règlement sur l’évacuation et le traitement des eaux usées des résidences isolées (Regulations concerning the disposal and treatment of waste water from remote dwellings; Q-2, r.8 and its amendments).
  • In the case of a subdivision located in part or entirely in a landfill area, the application must include a concurrence notice by the Ministère de l’environnement et de la faune (Ministry of Environment and Wildlife) with regard to the proposed land use change.

Compensation in Lieu of Parks and Playgrounds

Where applicable, the monetary value of the compensation is determined upon reception of the application for approval of a cadastral operation. It is based on the following calculations:

  • In zones having the following dominant uses: RC, RR, RV, RT, CMA, IB, IA – 4% of the market value
  • In all other zones: 2.5% of the market value


General Rule

Any owner is responsible for maintaining and cleaning all buildings located on his or her property, even if these buildings are vacant or occupied only on an intermittent basis.

Dangerous or Decrepit structures

No structure can be left in such a dangerous or decrepit state that could threaten public safety.

A dangerous structure must be solidified or made inaccessible as soon as its dangerous condition is determined. The owner must undertake all measures to ensure public safety, at his or her own expense. These measures may include the installation of hoarding, barricades or railings.


Septic installations are required throughout the Municipality and must be built in accordance with the standards contained in the Règlement sur l'évacuation et le traitement des eaux usées des résidences isolées (Regulations concerning the disposal and treatment of waste water from remote dwellings; Q-2, r.8), which come from the Ministère de l’environnement et de la faune (Ministry of Environment and Wildlife).

No person shall undertake the construction, modification or repair of a sewage disposal system before applying for and obtaining the required certificate of authorization.


The septic installation must be built under the supervision of an engineer who is a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs or by an engineering technologist who is a member of the Corporation professionnelle des technologues en sciences appliquées. The engineer or technologist must issue a certificate confirming that the septic installation is in conformity with the applicable laws and regulations.


Tous travaux de construction ou de lotissement sur les terrains situés en zone agricole sont soumis à la Loi sur la protection du territoire et des activités agricoles du Québec et doivent, dans presque tous les cas, faire l’objet d’une demande. Les formulaires d’autorisation ou de déclaration sont disponibles au bureau de la Municipalité et sont gratuits.

Le formulaire d’autorisation devient nécessaire lorsqu’une personne désire être autorisée à effectuer des travaux ou lotir une parcelle de terrain. Cependant, certains usages sont permis sans l’autorisation de la C.P.T.A.Q.

Les demandes d’autorisation doivent être soumises au Comité consultatif urbanisme (CCU) et au Conseil.


All construction and subdivision projects located in the Agricultural Zone fall under to Quebec's Loi sur la protection du territoire et des activités agricoles (Agricultural Land Protection Act) and, in almost all cases, must be the subject of a request. The declaration and authorization request forms are available free of charge at the Municipality's offices.

The authorization request form must be completed for all requests to subdivide a parcel of land or undertake a construction project. However, certain undertakings do not require approval by the Commission de la protection du territoire agricole du Québec (CPTAQ; Quebec Agricultural Land Protection Board).

All authorization requests must be submitted to the Comité consultatif d’urbanisme (CCU; Advisory Planning Committee) and to the Municipal Council.

To communicate directly with the CPTAQ, please refer to the list of telephone numbers in the file pocket at the back of this guide.


Many people believe they hold acquired rights. Acquired rights are attached to a property, not to a person, so they automatically transfer to the new owner upon the sale of a property.

Acquired rights and privileges are confirmed under municipal by-laws, according to established criteria. They also extend to all existing uses or structures and remain in effect until the use has ceased or the structure has been abandoned for a predetermined amount of time.

For those reasons, it is possible, in some cases, to build a structure on a non-conforming property, if all other predetermined conditions are met. For example, it would be possible to reduce certain setbacks to adapt the particularities of a property or of the activities to the requirements of a project.


Certain provisions of the Zoning and Subdivision by-laws, other than those relating to the prescribed uses and density of occupation, can be modified by way of an exceptional provision called a “minor variance”. The purpose of the minor variance is to establish the conditions for minor adjustments to certain by-law provisions.

The request for minor variance, which is subject to fees (refer to the Appendix for the Fee Schedule), delays the issuance of a permit, since it involves mandatory public consultation and review by the Comité consultatif d'urbanisme (CCU; Advisory Planning Committee) prior to submission to the Municipal Council for decision.


5,0 m
5,0 m
Commercial, tourism and public Use
5,0 m
5,0 m
Industrial and resource development
12,0 m
15,0 m
Bordering highways 309-315
35,0 m
Bordering autoroutes
45,0 m
Bordering power transmission lines
Along waterfront
15,0 m


1,50 m
1,50 m
1,50 m
1,50 m


12,0 m
Commercial, tourism and public use
12,0 m
Industrial and resource development


mur avant)
*One-storey single family detached Dwelling
* 8,0 m
* 83.61 m2(900pi2)
* 83.61 m2(900pi2)
Congregate housing
8,0 m
83.61 m2(900pi2)
83.61 m2(900pi2)
Single family detached dwelling and congregate housing(more than one storey)
8,0 m
111,48 m2(1,200pi2)
67,63 m2(728pi2)
Seasonal dwelling
6,0 m
60,0 m2(645pi2)
Commercial building
8,0 m
60,0 m2(645pi2)
60,0 m2(645pi2)

* This standard applies to zones listed in the Zoning Specifications Grid, under the special standards relative to surface area of single family detached dwellings. In all other zones, the following standards apply:

(mur avant)
One-storey single family detached dwelling
8,0 m
72,83 m2(784pi2)
72,83 m2(784pi2)


Index :